Now we find out that mothballs contain naphthalene, which is a poison if inhaled. Mothballs can cause nausea, vomit- ing and headache. Other signs of illness are shortness of breath, coughing and burning eyes.
Most people use them today without realizing their side effects. Children that have glucose problems can become severely ill. Having clothing just removed from a storage trunk and put on can cause the naphthalene to enter through the skin.
Children that play in the home and reach under the sofa can ingest one by placing a mothball in their mouth.
Caution must be taken to rid the home of every mothball there is. Sometimes this isn't easy since there are flakes that are usually scattered and come in tiny slivers. They have to be vacuumed or swept up; try to contain the fumes in the process. After removing all the mothballs and flakes, empty the vacuum cleaner bag and discard it immediately outdoors.
If mothballs are placed under carpet and rugs in your home, remove the mothballs or flakes and have the carpets cleaned. This will remove any traces of naphthalene from your carpet. Then air out the house by opening the windows.
Make sure that all flakes are removed and that there are not any hiding for which you forgot to remove.